Not every day is going to feel like a winner. As much of a positive minded person I am, I do have days that are hard for me. I get stressed out. I get anxiety. I’m not perfect, but I try to make every day count. When days like this happen, what’s most important is that you don’t dwell in the negative energy. Because bad things happen, but it’s all about how you deal with them. You have the power to change your focus and the direction of your thoughts.
You have choice to find your happy place.
I’ve gotten to a point where I can immediately notice when my energy is off. And when I recognize my energy doesn’t align with what it should be, which is positive and peaceful, I immediately work on refocusing my thoughts and my emotions. Mindfulness is a practice. And to be honest, it doesn’t feel natural at first because it’s much easier to just allow the frustration to take over. But the more you practice mindfulness, the easier it’ll be for you to calm down, refocus, and get back to the real you.
10 Mindfulness Techniques for a Happier Life
- Breathe deeply. Belly breathing is easy to do and super relaxing. Just put one hand on your belly and the other on your chest. You should breathe in deeply through your nose and let your belly push your hand out. Breathe out slowly through your mouth. Try it for 5 – 10 breaths to relax and calm down.
- Journal it out. Sometimes all it takes is to get your feelings out. Writing down your feelings to release negative energy is the best way to free your mind and relax. Just journaling in general is a cathartic process and helps you feel more happy.
- Being in the present moment. Thinking about that past or future can be stressful. Focusing on the here and now, and just being in the moment is a mindfulness technique that’s super useful when you’re worried about something that’s outside of your control at the moment.
- Talk it out. If you have someone that you can confide in that’s willing to just listen, let out your emotions. It’ll make you feel better to have someone to vent to.
- Be more aware. It’s easy to let your mind wander but that tends to lead to unhappiness. Instead, intentionally direct your thoughts to more positive ones.
- Go for a walk. Walking outside to gain clarity is a simple way to be more mindful. Exercise increases endorphins so a brisk walk will help you boost your mood.
- Listen to calming music. Just like fast upbeat music can make you feel excited and alert, slower more soothing tempo can help you relax your mind and chill out.
- Deliberately focus your attention. Stop your mind from going into autopilot when doing an activity. I do this a lot when I do yoga. When you deliberately focus on what you’re doing it makes that activity come alive and you have no time to think about anything else.
- Make deliberate decisions. Emotional decisions don’t always lead to the best outcomes. Allow yourself to feel without letting your emotions control your actions.
- Visualize what you want. Don’t underestimate the power of visualization. Picture yourself in the life and the feelings that you want to have. And allow yourself to be happier.
Share the Love: